Rates are negotiable and flexible. We can discuss the budget for your project. I do prefer payment through PayPal, however, which permits you to pay using your credit card even if you don’t have an account. My paypal address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I do require that you pay in advance for any work performed, but the advantage to you is that PayPal becomes your buyer protection. (In the event of non-delivery, you can quickly and easily request a refund directly through PayPal.)
Some basic guidelines for writing and voice acting rates are…
Basic Writing Services
• Resumes written from scratch are $50 USD.
• Resumes updated and reformatted are $40 USD. Cost is $20 USD to update a resume I previously formatted for you.
• News articles (800-1,000 words) are 0.25 USD per word. (Simply rewriting a news article of less than 1,000 words is a flat rate per article of $50 USD).
• Self-Defense articles (800-1,000 words) are 0.12 USD per word. Quantity discount is 0.10 USD per word for multiple articles.
• Keyword/Search Engine Optimization (SEO) articles (450-500 words) start at $50 USD as long as you provide the information and the keywords needed.
• Ghost-written non-fiction (a typical how-to book) starts around $1,000 to 1,500 USD for short projects; typically these don’t cost more than $2,000 USD.
• Ghost-written novels of up to 54,000 to 85,000 words start at $3,000 – $4,000 USD.
• Larger writing projects and ghost-writing tasks must be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Please be prepared to provide me with an estimate of your budget for the project — this means you must let me know what you are prepared to pay. I will do my best to work with you within these parameters.
• I will transcribe your digital audio at the rate of $75 per hour of recording. (Please note this is not an hourly rate of labor — it is $75 for every hour of the actual recording submitted. The cost to transcribe a two-hour recording would be $150, for example, regardless of how many hours it took me in real time actually to transcribe it. Recordings must be submitted electronically — I cannot accept cassette/Dictaphone tapes.
Audio and Video
• My voice-overs start at $5.00 USD per 1,000 words (no post-recording processing). Refer to my voice-overs page for more information.
• Video testimonials start at $5.00 USD per brief (30 seconds to 1 minute) video. Blank backgrounds only; no special prop requirements; no background music. No medical testimonials, and nothing sexual in nature, please.
• YouTube video editing and uploading is $35.00 USD per hour. Billing includes video upload time, as this ties up needed resources.
For two decades, I’ve made a living writing and editing fiction and non-fiction. I’ve ghost-written for clients who include some of the world’s most lucrative intellectual properties, martial arts and fitness professionals, industrial and technical concerns, and publishing houses ranging from commercial giants to fringe independents. I’ve seen the best and I’ve seen the worst. I’ve seen manuscripts so beautiful they will make you cry, and I’ve seen manuscripts so awful they redefine the bottom rung of prose.
It is my job to make the latter the former, and to do it with professionalism and efficiency. I have three editing services for which I charge, based on successive passes to the manuscript. These passes start at the least intrusive (with regard to changes made to the author’s story) and progress to the level of scrutiny expected of bestsellers.
* First-pass, the Basic edit, $10 per 1,000 words. In this pass I read every word of every sentence, clean up obvious problems, eliminate bad sentence constructions, and remove glaring spelling and grammatical errors. No changes are made to the storyline or the fundamental structure of the book. I have been a professional copy editor, copy writer, and technical writer for almost 20 years. These are the types of edits I live and breathe.
* Second-pass, the Readability Edit, $10 per 1,000 words — In this pass, I make changes to the book that improve the readability of its prose, making the prose overall less awkward and cleaner.
* Third-pass, the Storyline Edit, $5 per 1,000 words — This is the story doctoring pass, in which I make any structural changes the book needs in order to better flow and engage the reader. This pass might also require the changing of character names and other structural edits to eliminate things that simply don’t work well. This pass goes deeper than correcting, simplifying, or “smoothing” prose and involves moving around sections of the book, deleting or dividing chapters, changing character names, altering plot points, and other wholesale modifications.
Authors sometimes fret over this pass because they fear their story, or their voice, will be lost. This is not the case. The author’s voice will be preserved, but edits of this depth produce the best manuscript possible. This is the pass in which I bring to bear my experience writing more than 25 internationally published action novels. I know what works, I know what doesn’t work, and I can make these changes efficiently and ruthlessly.
Combined, this is a rate of $25 per 1,000 words.
I will gladly furnish all three services for the combination rate, or two of the three, or just the basic rate, depending on what the client is willing to pay for and the level of scrutiny he or she desires — and with the understanding from the outset of precisely what level of effort is being applied.